Early History of the Club
Canterbury Bicycle Club was formed in 1877 with 24 members. The headquarters was at the Fleur de Lis Hotel, and the club kit was brown with a polo cap. The club subscription was 2s.6d.
The photo above is of a Strawberry Tea at Shatterling, about 8 miles from Canterbury.
Cyclist Parade in the Cathedral (1907)
New from 1907 :
The Canterbury Cycling Club have obtained permission from the Dean for a Church parade to the Cathedral on Sunday next. Dr. Wace has arranged for seating accommodation for nearly 300 cyclists, and it is estimated that over 500 will take part in the procession, which will start from Pay’s athletic grounds, Wincheap at 1:30 and go to the Cathedral by way of Wincheap, Castle Street, St. Margaret’s Street, Parade, St. George’s Street, Lower Bridge Street, Broad Street, the Borough, Palace Street, Guildhall Street, High Street and Mercery Lane. The cycles will be stored, by permission of the Mayor under the Corn Exchange during the Divine Service. Among the various clubs who have signified their intention of being represented on the occasion are the “Star” Club (Canterbury), Dover, Chatham and Rochester, Gravesend, Whitstable, Faversham, Ashford, Folkstone, Eastry, Deal and Walmer.
Photos – supplied by permission from www.historiccanterbury.com